[Dailydrool] Puppy training

Maureen ypppmaureen at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 07:56:02 PDT 2010

Hi Jen,

I just came across your thread on the archives. I couldn't read all of
what you said. Do you have a Basset puppy? We just got one three weeks
ago and he's 4 months old. Got him from a pet store and he was in a pen
for 3 months and peed whenever he wanted to. He does great going
outside, but still pees in the kitchen at least once a day. We have
treats and praise him every time he poops or pees outside. I never owned
a Basset before, always had the little lap dogs that were no problem to
housetrain, so as you can imagine, I'm just a bit OVERWHELMED besides no
one told us that Bassets shed ALL year long!!! So this is all a new
experience for me ( besides the fact that I am a very neat and tidy
personality) which we'll see which one of us will end up winning this
one ( my bets are with the dog).Our Bichon of 15 years passed a month
and a half ago and I swore that I would never ever ever get another dog
as long as I lived, EVER! That lasted one month. I began missing the
PRESENCE of a dog and the fact that I am 50 years old and always had a
dog all those years was also another reason.
Henry is cute, funny and a total pain in the butt. The "puppy" stage is
killing me!!!!!!!! I'm too old for this! Anyway, what have you learned
and what was the result of the Pet Smart trainer saying that Basset's
are harder to train?
Hope all is well with you and your sweetie.