[Dailydrool] To Henry's Mom

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Wed Mar 31 15:49:06 PDT 2010

I am so enjoying your notes regarding Henry.   Buying from a Pet Store isn't the best place to get a dog.   However, my first pure bred dog (a Dachshund) was bought from what would now be called a Broker.    Sam was never sick and was the most darling of dogs.   He did blow a disc in his neck at age 5, had surgery, and within a couple of months was as good as new.     I know of a Dachshund owner who bought a puppy from a highly respected breeder.   At 6 months the little guy died from an enlarged heart.    No heart murmur, no warning, no other problems with siblings.   Just a birth defect.
So Henry can turn out to be the healthiest dog you ever had, or not.       You can get blood tests for some bleeding issues in Bassets.   Check the Basset Hound Club of America's web site.   At least you'll be able to rule those things out.

Your questions regarding food....   The most natural diet is the best diet.   Dogs do not digest grains the way we do.    Corn has been so modified for crop yield and pest resistance that most of the better foods don't use it.   Corn, wheat, soy should be avoided, are hard to digest and don't provide any real nutritional value for a dog.   Some dogs get the itchies from too many grains.    On the other side of that,,dogs are scavengers and will eat most anything and survive.

Personally, the best premium food you can afford (there are grain free foods, too) should do Henry just fine.   Don't over vaccinate him,  stay away from chemicals give him lots of love, exercise and discipline.    Enjoy him
Cathy Blatz
www.summerhilldachshundsandbassets.com