[Dailydrool] Jersey

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu May 27 15:03:23 PDT 2010

I always think that it's fun to be able to match up the bassets in the
BOTW with the person who writes to the Drool about them and just wanted all
of you to know that the beautiful Jersey in the contest this week is one of
the Houndettes that I share with you. I'm not campaigning for votes (all the
hounds this week are absolutely beautiful!). I just want you to be able to
match the hound with their slave. I hope the rest of you slaves will do this
too.

Jersey is a rescued houndette who came to us over three years ago and she is
the first dog we'd had in over 27 years. She is probably between seven and
nine years old now and is the queen in our house. The shelter told the
family who dropped her off (who had had her since she was a puppy!) that,
because she was an owner turn in and they had no room, she would be put to
sleep that day. The family left her anyway. They said they were moving to a
new house and they "didn't want to put up with the fur and smell anymore and
that she "leaked". Well, their loss is our gain. Jersey re-educated me about
bassitude, counter surfing, trash dumping and all things houndie. I
had initially said that she would not be allowed on the furniture and that
lasted about five minutes between Jersey and the DH. She's a pretty big girl
now tipping the scales at a little over 60 pounds so we have added green
beans along with her kibble. I got looks that would kill the first time I
added green beans to her food! She was NOT impressed! I could build a whole
new hound with the fur that comes out of this girl when she gets brushed and
anyone can plan on dust bunnies floating around my house when they come to
visit. She actually doesn't leak, she drools and there is slobber marks on
most of our furniture to prove it. She seemed to be ok when she was an only
dog but her personality really came out when Shadow came to live with us.
Jersey will still tell anyone who asks her that she really liked being a
lonely only but she totally gives it away when she does the 500 with her
sisters in the back yard or starts Tiggering at one of the other Houndettes
to get them to play. It doesn't happen as often as it used to but she can't
fool us, she really does like the company that the other Houndettes give
her. Jersey also reminded us how much joy a basset hound brings to a home
and has totally captured our hearts. Of course, then we got involved in
rescue and can foster fail with the best of them but that's a whole
different story. I just wanted you to take a peak at our beautiful, silly,
smooshy girl and share with you how much pleasure she has brought to the DH
and me. Plus, after bringing Jersey and the other Houndettes into our home,
rescuing has become a passion for the DH and I. Jersey has been a win win
for us any way you look at it!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey (yes, I am the Queen!)
Shadow, Suzy, & Ginger