[Dailydrool] Guarding

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri May 28 10:20:54 PDT 2010

I have just one word for this unfortunate situation: CRATE.

I can't stand dogs milling around my feet while I eat, and I think
snatching food off the table is a sign of insubordination. So when I
have a dog that has a hard time leaving me and my food alone, or when
I anticipate there'll be trouble with preparing or eating a meal with
a dog around, I just pop the dog into a crate until I'm done with the
food. Then I'm not put in the position of having to guard my dinner,
and the dog isn't put in the position of having to feel my anger when
I discover he's eaten my meal for me.

Young Charlie has spent a number of dinner parties in his crate
during the eating part of the party because I know he'll pester our
guests to death and try to help himself when he thinks he can. Our
Elsinore has also had to spend a little time in a crate when the
food's come out because she can be very pushy when it comes to
begging. I've found that putting the dogs in crates when the humans
want to enjoy their food instantly reduces the overall tension, which
makes for a much more pleasant meal for everyone. A dog who howls in
protest at being put in a crate usually changes his mind if he's
given some Frosty Paws or a kong full of frozen peanut butter to work
on or some other special, long-lasting treat.

Elizabeth