[Dailydrool] Adirondack neighbors

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 08:17:08 PDT 2010

Now that the weather is better, snow from last week melted and all, I decided to explore and took Kahuna and Peaches for a walk to the "pole line" - a row of power lines cut into the woods with a dirt access road just down from my house. It's used as a snow mobile trail in the winter, so can't really walk there then. Anyway, we were having a nice a walk checking out the ravines filled with water, looking at scenery. Ahead there were a couple of giant piles of sticks on the side of the water. "Beaver" flashed through my mind, but it was on the side not in the water so wasn't sure. There was an ATV parked there, and I thought that was a strange place to leave it, but maybe it had run out of gas or something. As we approached the piled sticks I heard "Hello..." and just about jumped out of my skin! A man was sitting by the water on the far side of the sticks, with a shot gun...hmmm. Peaches and Kahuna ran over to say hi, sniffing his gun, as I tried frantically to real them in (flexis) and mumble something about how I was sorry to disturb him and we were turning around now. He said he was waiting to spot a beaver -they kept flooding his yard. I just agreed that could be a problem as I have no idea on the legalities of beaver hunting or what you may do with it once you shoot the poor thing. The houndies were in heaven running around sniffing the new beaver smells and not inclined at all to head back. He asked where I lived and I said I'd just moved in "up the street".

"Oh, the green house."
"um, yes"
"So, you doing work at the prison?"
"ahhhh, prison? I work at the hospital."
"They are saying you are a retired prison guard." (WHAT????)
"Er, no, I work in the operating room at the hospital."
"Oh, my brother and I work in construction. Built a place for an anesthesiologist once. He comes up from the city."
"...that's nice....I don't need much work done...."
"Yeah, they did a fair amount of work on that place." (the place needs some work, but I wasn't about the get into it then)
"Well, I'll let you get back to your beaver...sorry to bother you..."

And we quckly made our way back. I think I was out of earshot before I started laughing.
I have learned that my neighbors carry shotguns and look for beavers. I'm really trying not to think too deeply on that subject. The good news is my John Deere tractor mower was delivered this week, so I can go ride around on my tractor, complete with cup holder, and all will be well with the world. Ahh, mountain life!

We send beaver induced drool to all those who have suffered such terrible losses this week or need some healing.

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Zuma, Kahuna (can we go play with the beaver today??), Peaches (I liked the gun, bet I could get that beaver!), Pearl, Dickens, Ernest, Elliot
Ace da Newf, Hansel the Saint ATB

PS about 10 days ago I had to send Hansel the Saint to the Bridge. He attacked Ace quite severely, twice. We think it was because Ace is black and with his limited vision, Hansel couldn't see Ace well. After the first episode, Hansel was terribly frightened and wouldn't come in the house. I worked with him for a day or so and he seemed fine but attacked Ace at the door again. With such extreme fears, and the unpredictable nature we felt there was no choice but to send him to the Bridge - what if it was a person or child wearing dark clothing. Would he react the same way? Just too dangerous and so sad to see him frightened to that degree. Horrible situation but Ace is healing well. He is shaved, from the injuries, except for the top of his head and bears an uncanny resemblance to Mr. T now - a big black dude with a mohawk!