[Dailydrool] Back injury/pain

Ohge, Kim [DESTN] kohge at iastate.edu
Mon May 3 08:48:24 PDT 2010

I've been away from the Drool for awhile because there were so many leaving for the Bridge and I just couldn't take it - but now selfishly I'm back because "I" need advice.  My beautiful baby Sadie who is 10 years old is having back troubles and I'm at my wits end as to what to do.  I took her to the doctor and she looked her over and said she thinks "maybe" it's a herniated disk.  She sent us home with prescriptions for Tramadol and Rimadyl.  Sadie tolerated them both pretty well and seemed to improve for a few days.  When we ran out of the pills I stopped in to talk with the doctor and told her that Sadie had done fairly well but was now out of them (and starting to trip/slip again) and asked what our next course of action should be.  She indicated that Sadie could take these meds long term as long as they were working well for her.  I told her that Sadie didn't really like the chewy version and she said there was a less expensive version (Vetprofen) and we could try that. We gave her this over this past weekend and it didn't seem to have any effect at all on her.  I called this morning and the vet is giving us the Tramadol again since it worked pretty good the first time - I'll just need to wrap it in cheese too.  So, here is where I'm needing help.  I feel like I'm doing this for ME.  Sadie doesn't whine or appear to be in pain but the look in her eyes when she falls just says "I hate this!"  I KNOW that I can't afford the $3000 to $4000 surgery that "might" help her - there is just no way in the world because I have two other bassets plus a kid in college and one in high school.  Sadie is my "heart" dog and this is just killing me and I need someone to give me some advice.  Thanks for listening.

Kim Ohge