[Dailydrool] Temple Grandin's book

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue May 11 18:04:35 PDT 2010

Susan currently I have 2 brothers and they are so close that Colt who is my
"momma's boy" will sometimes stress over who to be with...momma or Ruger his
brother.  I swear that those hounds must have slide out of the birth canal
together. In the almost 3 yrs that I have had them there hasn't ever been a
single fight, only a woof if one of them steps on the other or bites a
little to hard in the play/mock fights.  One Oouch-woof and everything
stops...they sniff and go back to playing.  They are always together and
when I say together they are normally never out of eyesight from each other.
The only exception is when they are both in the house.  Colt will hang out
with me in the computer room and Ruger will nap on the couch in the living
room.  But the moment Colt hears the jingle of dog tags he is out and
attached to his brother's hip.   I don't really see a dominance of one over
the other either. They just seem to be content to both rule over the momma
together.  I also had a family of 5, Shadow the definate pack Alpha who
ruled the pack with an iron paw.  Comanche mate to Shadow, Princess daugther
to Comanche & Shadow, Storm brought in as a mate for Princess, and Wolfgang
who was the son of Princess & Storm.  I never had any fights, food issues or
anything else for that matter.  Shadow ruled and no one questioned it.  The
only problem I ever had was when Storm & Wolfgang were the last 2 remaining
hounds of the Fab 5, they were both Seniors 13 and 12 years old.  Wolfie
would attack Storm when I would leave.  I don't think that Storm ever
defended himself but try to duck for cover. There was never any serious
injury...Storm would sometimes have some puncture wounds on the face and
neck, but nothing that I couldn't take care of myself.  I ended up
seperating them when i would leave.  Wolfgang got run of the house and Storm
got my bedroom (he slept the majority of the time)  I'm not sure if these
attacks where due to seperation anxiety, or seniliaty, on Wolfgangs part.  I
also read somewhere that a dog would sometimes attack a sick pack member,
this could have been the case too because Storm started to have the
beginnings of kidney failure  when this all started.   Just my
experience...hope that this helps to answer your question.

Michele, Colt & Ruger
Princess, Shadow, Comanche, Storm & Wolfgang...My ATB Pack