[Dailydrool] The Basset as Speed Bump

Cyn Mobley dogrescue at atriskintervention.org
Thu May 13 05:16:55 PDT 2010

Hi, all. I have one permanent and four foster Bassets, mostly
imperiously-minded senior girls who wake me every morning to a chorus of
heavy tails thumping on the walls.  I'm relatively new to short legged big
dogs and have one huge question: how do you convince them to get out of your
way when you're walking somewhere in the house?

Everyone else four-legged here is a Greyhound, easy to see, willing to move
out of the way or within the range of a knee nudge when carrying laundry.
But the Bassetti, ah, yes -- that's a different story.

They KNOW if they plan themselves right in front of me, I won't see them.
They KNOW I will then trip over them, landing on the floor a good deal of
the time within easy range of a face lick and conveniently positioned to pet
them. You can't convince me this is unintentional behaviour, not when I've
seen them rearrange the chairs to get on the table and teach the Walker
Hounds to retrieve bread from kitchen counter.

So -- anyone have any solutions for my hound/crocodile pack?

Cyn Mobley
Dogbooks.org