[Dailydrool] What to feed when "on a diet" and How They Train US!!

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Fri May 14 16:44:36 PDT 2010

Annie is on a diet, and Fred is on a modified version (she needed to lose about 7-10 lbs, he only 2 or 3.)  I had been feeding them each 1 cup of Eagle Pack dry, 1 Tbsp of wet food (usually Alpo), 1 Tbsp of pumpkin and 2 Tbsp of rice twice a day.  My vet told me to cut Annie's dry food to 3/4 cup, I try to give her a smaller Tbsp of wet food, still the 1 Tbsp of pumpkin and have cut out the rice and added a quarter can of unsalted string beans twice a day.  Fred still gets a whole cup of dry, a slightly fuller Tbsp of wet, and the same amount of pumpkin and string beans.  I also started giving them only a half a cookie after each walk, instead of a whole (if I try to give them baby carrots, they chew them up and spit them out for me to find later...)  I have been doing this for about 3 months and, while I haven't brought them to the vet to be weighed (the idea of listening to Annie wimper and whine for 15 minutes just to stick her on the scale is not appealing!), they definitely look thinner to me.  Fred is muscular in general, but Annie definitely has a waist now, when viewed from above, which she didn't before.

Just a funny story of how well trained I am...I usually eat my dinner in the living room, in front of the TV (I know, I know, I should sit at the table...)  Anyway, Fred sits in front of me on the floor and waits for his share, while Annie stays across the room on the couch.  She is confident in the fact that I will toss her a piece of whatever Fred gets, which I do.  However, I don't always have the best aim.  If the food is not right in front of her, but within reach, she'll give me a look as if to say, "That's as close as you could get it?" and then she'll laboriously shift her position so as to get the food.  However, if the food lands so far away that she would actually have to GET UP to get it (it's on the other end of the couch or, God forbid, on the floor), she will stay where she is and stare at me, until I get up and hand it to her...  I tell myself that I don't make her wait very long, because I don't want Fred to run over and get it, but we all know better...I am her slave, now and til the end of time!!

Rose, Annie (Mom, for someone who likes baseball so much, you can't throw a strike to save your life) and Fred (I still don't know why I'm on a diet...)