[Dailydrool] What's wrong with Watson? Is it a UTI?

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Tue May 18 02:28:30 PDT 2010

So it's 3:15 am, and I'm up. I'm up because Watson was up. He usually sleeps
through the night, so I'm a bit concerned that we have a problem. I'm
wondering if he might have a UTI or if it's something else. I will call the
vet in the morning and get him in, and we'll see how the night goes too. I
think I'm oversensitive to being awoken in the early morning because the
only other time Watson has woken me up this early after being potty trained
was when he had eaten a rock and it was lodged in his small intestine. We
waited so long to get him to the vet that he almost died. I really do not
want to make that mistake again. Anyway, here we go:

When we were eating dinner tonight, out on the porch, Watson was not around,
which was unusual. He was on the side of the house licking the fence (he
never does this) and then I couldn't see him for a bit. About 5 minutes into
dinner, Watson came back to where we were sitting and promptly threw up a
large glob of grass. He licked his lips, and I gave him some french fries to
clear that taste out of his mouth. Then, we went inside and at 8:30, he ate
all of his dinner as normal - it was about 30 minute later than usual
though. He went outside at 12:00 am for the last time, peed like he always
does, and then I put him to bed.

Just now he woke up whining, and I let him out. He ran to the doggy door,
jumped out, and peed in the backyard. Then he proceeded to pee at least 3 or
4 more times all around the yard. I also don't actually know if he peed
because it's dark. Anyway, he'd pause, lift the leg, and exhibit all of the
signs of a peeing dog. Then, instead of running back inside for his treat,
he sat down at the back of the yard and stared at me. I went inside, went to
the bathroom, and a minute later, he was at the bathroom door waiting for
me. I put him back in his crate, he ate his treat, and went back to sleep.
He hasn't whined since, and it's been probably about 10 or 15 minutes. I
just know I"m going to have a terrible night's sleep, but I'm wondering if
anyone has seen something like that before?

Maybe he just had to pee, but he'd been sleeping in our bed since around 9
or 10, and before that, we were on the couch and he was sleeping. He NEVER
wakes up at 3 to go outside. He's also been known to be able to hold his
bladder for at least 10 hours. I don't exactly know when his last drink of
water was, but the last time he could have had water was around 9 or 9:30.
It's just odd that he had to pee so badly that he woke me up at 3am, and
it's also odd that he peed multiple times in short little bursts. Usually
when he pees outside, it's just one long pause, not multiple stops around
the yard. I squeezed his belly a little bit, but he didn't cry or whimper,
and his gums are nice and pink and their capillary response is good...

I am sure I am over thinking this, but any advice and drool,would be
appreciated.

Thanks droolers.
Sincerely, a tired, worried Katie and her sweet still asleep Watson.