[Dailydrool] Stan Update - Keep Flinging Healing Drool Our Way - It Is Working!

Bakken-Kleven, Jessica A JBAKKEN1 at Fairview.org
Wed May 19 16:39:14 PDT 2010

Ahhh, the power of healing drool!  It has worked some definite magic in our lives today!

We visited Stan at the pet hospital today and he was perky and happy and excited to see us!  We opened his kennel and he bursted out of there and attempted to take off running, however was stopped real fast by Mom and Dad (he is still attached to an IV).  They let us take him outside, which was interesting walking a dog on an IV.  He went potty (for a long long time)!

He tried to go #2 but all we got was a few little drops of dark fluid.  He tried for a long time though.  He really hasn't eaten much in the past 2 days and everything he has eaten has been force fed.  While we were there they had us try feeding him.  When we asked him if he was hungry he did his hungry Basset dance, once I put the bowl down he took a bite, spit it out, and gave me the dirtiest look!  So, I think he is hungry, he just doesn't like the food they are giving him.  He has never been one for canned/soft food.  So, they are going to try the hard food tonight.  If he does well and has a bowel movement, he can come home tomorrow.

We still have to wait until after day 5 post surgery to make sure he makes it through the possibility of "suture rejection".  Our vet said this isn't really common but is worried because if it happened to Stan it would be fatal only because he doesn't have any additional intestine to work with.  The vet tells me Stan had about 3 meters of intestine.  They took out a good 3 feet of intestine during the surgery so he will be operating on only 2/3 of his intestines.  Our next battle will be short bowel syndrom and will be a life long battle.

But, first thing is first...keep flinging that drool our way!  It is working!  Stan has perked up and is doing better today after receiving so much drool!  Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts and kind words.  Many of you made me straight up cry reading what you sent me!  Thank you thank you thank you!  It has been so nice knowing that there are so many pulling for Stan to come through this!

Thank you to everyone!
~ Jessica - Mommy to Stan