[Dailydrool] tail down

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed May 19 20:17:50 PDT 2010

A simple way to explain some cases .. the more serious of which becomes the
"drunken rear end" or "drunken sailior" syndrome

As the spine is the sheeth for the spinal column and nerves send their
signals to, through, up and down, that column, as the column becomes
inflamed, damaged, or squeezed, it causes nerve endings to be unable to get
their signals to the brain, and conversely the signals from the brain back
down the column to cause action or reaction.

When we're happy, we smile .. we smile bigger when we are even happier than
happy .. and so forth . you can be happy on the inside, but if the signal is
not getting from your brain to the muscles in your face, around your lips,
eyelids, lifted forehead, etc.. then your face won't show the expression
you're feeling..

so to the hound.. they naturally have their tails up.. they wag when they
are happier, and the wagging gets more intense generally the more happy and
excited the hound..

So.. cut off some communication.. and their smile reflex.. the tail..
doesn't wag as much . doesn't curl upward as much.. cause the signal doesn't
get back there well enough to have the brain's motor coordination realize .
"hey.. our tail isn't curled enough so send that 'curling' signal to the
muscles of the tail" .. etc..

Cut off some of that communication, and they might be a little disjointed in
their gait, or get a little clumsy, or may even have their rear give out on
them for a second.

Maybe an over-simplification, but that's the general idea.

There are other times, that the tail might actually be "sprained" or "sore"
or has suffered trauma from hitting something, being stepped on, pulled..
etc.  The general grumpiness of a hound would be explained if they are
feeling the general spinal issue (somewhat like 'old age' on our creakie
bones, and sore muscles.. etc)

-Robert