[Dailydrool] Facial swelling & Cooling hot hounds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue May 25 09:31:45 PDT 2010

Just an FYI:  If my vet tech training serves me correctly; Any type of face swelling/infection in a dog needs to be taken seriously.  There is a big facial nerve that runs down the head between the eyes & ears and down the jaw, that you do not want the infection to spread to.   If that happens it can cause all kinds of bad ju-ju to a houndie.   Any vets out their please correct me if I am having a senior delusional moment.

The boys are sending healing drool to Sadie Maye, Maggie, Elder Clara  and the GGBR 11 yr old senior boy,  and any other sick hondies out there.

Cooling hot hounds (this got me thinking about my Florida hounds so I went searching): A while back I saw in a dog catalog an ad for cool bed pads for dogs. This stuck out in my mind since the boys Auntie Val has a long haired dog that is always hot & panting.  Upon my search for doggie cooling products I found dog cooling bandanas  (like the runners use)  & cooling jackets. to use on walks.  here is one of the websites that had all of these products.  There is a lot more out there, I just googled dog cooling products. http://www.petstreetmall.com/Canine-Cooler-Pet-Bed.aspx  Interesting product information at this site for the  Canine Cooler dog cooling bed:  It is also specifically designed to provide comfort for dogs with hip and joint ailments as well as skin problems and other health conditions in which a soft, cooling effect is needed. Maintenance-free and very easy to clean, the canine cooler dog bed is the perfect bed for your dog this summer.

After a walk my hounds come into the kitchen lay on  the linoleum floor under the ceiling fans and eat ice cubes.  Ruger will lay on his side to eat them.sometimes I have to put the first one in his mouth for him because he is to hot and tired to get it himself.even though it is right in front of his snooter.  Yes I am a well trained slave.  But it is so cute how he wants his momma to give it to him.I know that I am setting myself up later down the road.  But Ruger is my independent hound so any time he wants snuggles, belly rubs or a little extra attention he usually gets it.   I always say that Ruger is in touch with his inner cat. lol.

Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers.
Colt  & Ruger "Momma can we get a couple of those bandanas and a cooling bed?"

Colt:  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134867

Ruger:    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1134878