[Dailydrool] Info. regarding BG Chicken by Merrick

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 11:05:44 PST 2010

Just passing along some info. about Merrick's BG Chicken dog food that I
learned today in case some of you feed this food.  I met with a dog food
nutritionist today in the hopes of finding a new food for my dogs.  I
have come to believe that the BG product played some sort of roll in
Radar's bloat episodes as well as the other changes we are seeing in our
dogs.  Along with his episodes Radar and Mollie have also developed
yeasty ears when they have never had any ear problems before.  Otter and
Mollie have both started passing gas out of both ends, again something
new.  All three of the dogs have been scratching and licking their
feet.  After researching on line and speaking with the nutritionist I
have found BG has changed their ingredients/formula.  I read on one site
that it is believed they have done this to make the food more affordable
due to the fact it will now be sold at PetCo.  The nutritionist no
longer will stock the product and has moved the remaining bags off the
shelf.  She has had many customers come in complaining of itching with
their dogs and all have eaten the chicken.  I don't know if this can be
traced back to Radar's inability all of a sudden to not be able to
digest the food he has eaten for two years but when all the other
symptoms are put together everything seems to point to the food.
So, again, just a heads up if anyone is noticing any unusual issues and
you feed this brand.  I have contacted the company by phone and email
and have yet to get a response back.

Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Mollie the Bloodhound