[Dailydrool] The Stink ATB 9-16-10

carla kleinschmidt mshounddog at wowway.com
Wed Nov 17 12:06:04 PST 2010

With the heaviest heart imaginable, I had to send The Stink to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday.  She was diagnosed with "significant" heart problems four months ago, and we received medication for it.  She did pretty well until recently.  She had been refusing her treats and resisting her food and ended up losing four pounds, despite the water that she was retaining because of her bad heart.  Monday night she had a horrible night coughing, gagging, gasping for breath over and over.  I decided she wouldn't have another night like that.  So with me by her side, I let her go at 4:10 yesterday.  The house is so empty and lonely without her.  I lost two in 2008, but this one is the worst, since I haven't been alone in the house for years.  The Stink was the most loving, loyal, best behaved basset girl ever.  I couldn't have asked for a better companion and friend.  I will definitely be adding another basset, but not until after the first of the year when I can take a couple weeks off to spend with the new one.  Of course I'll adopt a rescue hound.  Until then I will be most miserable in my humble abode and will not be consoled until I have another hound to love.  Wanted to share with the group that I am sure understands exactly how I feel at this moment.  Memories are all that comfort me.

Carla K. in Indiana