[Dailydrool] Sweet Potato (Yam) chip variations- sounds easy, try 'em! (howliday rerun)

Kathleen Jones klj at efn.org
Fri Nov 19 11:02:47 PST 2010

A local store put sweet potatoes on sale for 3 lbs for $1, so I thought it was time to make the boys some treats. I went searching for my own post from last year. Here's a re-run if anyone wants to try it & missed it.  I've had the best luck with the coin method (1st one) and the chopped (3rd).   My boys will eat 'em anyway!

Happy Howlidays to all.  We truly have something to be thankful for with our Bassets & the Drool.

Kathleen Jones & Maestro ( So just MAKE SOME, already!)
(w/Henry Wadsworth & Bentley Basset ATB)

Okay, I got busy & have yet to try 'em. Bad Mommie. But I've been collecting info helpful Droolers sent me and this weekend will experiment.

The tech at our vet's makes 'em for his young Golden, Zeke.  Zeke is red-gold & goofy like Maestro. They are friends. He will vouch for Zeke's judgement.   He gets his yams

 washed, dried, unpeeled
 sliced into 1/4"  thick coins, and
baked at the lowest possible oven, about 150 to 200 degrees.
 Apparently, it can take hours & will vary with the potato size & oven temp.  Chewy or crispy, Zeke will eat them. I'd guess that any Basset would too.
-----------
It's looking like it's pretty hard to goof.  In this one, they slice lengthwise & bake at 250.

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/sweet-potato-dog-chew.html

------------------
A big thank you to Cindy Heron for this idea.   These would make handy sized training treats!  .I may even try the bite size piece idea on a low oven. (The dehydrator is in the attic...)

 Peel them, cut them up into bite size pieces and put them in a food dehydrator until they are dried out.  My dogs love them.
----------------------

Several kind  Droolers sent me a version from Alexa Paul. THANKS to all!  I know she has experience feeding LOTS of Bassets! :-)  It has a higher cooking temp than the others:

"You know these are sooooo easy to make and GOOD for your Bassets and...you just can't go wrong.

Each oven is different and sometimes the cooking time just is different...I have undercooked em and cooked them till they are black and little...and..the dogs love them all no matter what!  Never have seen a recipe for them but this is how I make them:

Sweet Potato or Yam Treats

I buy ours from Costco a huge warehouse kinda store here..cheaper and they come in a box easy to carry.

Turn your oven to about 325 or 350
Dump all the yams and sweet potatoes into the sink. spray them with water, brush off the outside .
Then slice them into rounds. Thick or thin it does not matter. I just try and not slice myself.Uhh say not more than 1/4" thick. You will get really good at it..just go slow on the first couple of yams.
Get them onto a cookie rack on a big cookie tin. If I don't want to hunt for the cookie cooling rack Just stack the rounds against the edge of the pan and then tip them all up around the pan so that they get air under and around them. If you want you could put some canola on the pans surface so they don't stick  You could use a dehydrator too...but I find that the oven works great.

Just leave them in for a couple of hours..and check em. Cook them until they look done. According to a recipe I found once it said to bake them overnight at 200.  I found that they are just something I need to look in on evey so often. I have forgotten them before and actually burned them...but even so the dogs love them even if you cook them rock hard and dark brown.

It just depends is all on the oven and the yams. The dogs dont care..just so they are cooked enough to not be hard (they WILL eat them then even..but too hard to digest if they are raw)  Then just put them in to bake. (if you have a hydrator then that's good too)