[Dailydrool] Advice please- using treats for walks instead of scavenging, but how to avoid weight gain?

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 14:42:31 PST 2010

We went to the vets again yesterday and Morse has more antibiotics for lipfold
pyoderma bless him plus some cream. Vet said he was such a placid lad and said
how he is the largest basset she has ever seen - 74 lbs. She said he wasnt
overweight - just has masses of skin - and actually commented that he has a
waist! Sooo...I am looking to try and help my boy get over his scavenging a
little. We are surrounded by beautiful fields here and bless his heart all he
wants to do is go into the town centre to find scraps of pasty, chips and
burgers. He finds the fields a bore. So let's say we start walking and I carry
tasty treats. When I googled this, they suggest that I say his name, get him to
look at me, say yes and then give him a treat, and repeat this, 'and soon your
dog will be watching you instead of seeing what is on the pavement'.  Dog, yes,
but a basset?  Does that apply to a basset? I am wondering if its going to be
more the case of flat basset once the treats stop? And also will I be
encouraging him to walk only if there is food about?  And I don't want him to
start putting on weight either. Oh help!

You know you're a basset nut when you go into Street View to see where your new
house is going to be, and then quickly look up all the local McDonalds etc to
see if it might win the basset's approval too.
*sigh*

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB