[Dailydrool] Noah

Wendie Prince houndsabound at att.net
Mon Nov 22 18:06:01 PST 2010

Hi all,

What a day.  First of all, Noah is home and  under observation for the
night. .

I know I must have sounded very panicked when I called Debbie after the vet
took Noah in the back,  She said she was not sure who it was...And yes, I
was indeed panicked and very emotional, and, in disbelief.

Noah started showing signs of bloat about 11am this morning,  I am on
vacation, so was home, thank Dawg!    Initially, he was having a lot of gas,
sort of jumping up like what the heck was that?   I thought he might needs
his glands expressed, so I did that,  but he still was pacing and passing
gas.  Then I noticed his stomach was pretty full looking and knew he had not
eaten anything.  I tapped on it and it was fairly hard.  That was it,  off
to the vet.   My regular vet was on her break, so saw Dr Jackson.  Not sure
she believed me when I said he was bloating, but she got him back
immediately,  and did x-rays and they showed his stomach  in full torsion .
While they put in an IV,   and were getting him prepped for surgery,   she
inserted a needle into his belly to relieve the pressure and a lot of air
came out. ( I cannot imagine how bad that smelled!)  At that point, the
stomach  had relaxed enough , from what we gather, to start returning to
it's normal position,  Noah threw up his breakfast, and the stomach was
still going down.  Dr J started massaging his abdomen and got him to pass
gas,  getting things more back to normal.   At that point, they decided to
hold off on emergency surgery.   They kept him  until just a little bit ago,
and the plan was to get him stable, so his body would be less stressed for
surgery ,  watch him tonight and then tack his stomach in surgery tomorrow .
Well,  we have done bloodwork that has come back good, and we are going to
try to mange this with a  special diet and motility agents (meds to move the
food through his digestive tract).  I am  okay  with this for the next few
days,  but still concerned as I know they are prone to bloat again once they
do it one time.  And I worry I would not be here to catch it so fast.  Noah
is about 12, I think, but the vet thinks more like 13.  He is is pretty good
health and his spirits are good , he made it through having his eye removed
due to glaucoma, and has shown he is adaptable.     The vets were in total
surprise that his stomach went back in position by itself. ( more x-rays
showed this to be true.)
.

Anyone have any experience with having this sort of choice with a bloat?

I just got back home with him about a half hour ago.  He is very tired after
his ordeal.  I have to limit his water intake and no food, will take him
back in the AM and he will get observed for the day.

I fully believe you never get more than you can handle,  I always know
things get better, and they will/are.  Noah is home and we may  have to do
the surgery to tack his belly, but even if we have to do that,   drool will
help us get through this.  I will be sleeping with him in the living room
tonight to keep a better eye on him.  I know where the ERs are located and
have all his x-rays and bloodwork to hand over if I need to.  Other than
that, we are going to go lay down and see if some of these guys will chill
out with me and Noah.
I said to someone that I feel like there is a big bulls eye on my roof,  and
that is okay for me,  but don't mess with the hounds!
We are saying a prayer to be bored to tears over the next few weeks!  That
would just be a blessing!  Apparently the "Come to Jesus" meeting I held
last night with the Bounders, about no one giving me any more reasons to be
stressed,  fell on deaf ears.....or I should say, Basset ears.
Dawg Bless them all.

We send drool out to all in need tonight,    with hopes for a day filled
with health for all tomorrow!
Many thanks for all the emails,  I will try to get all answered over the
next few days.
Things have happened so fast today  that I didn't get a chance to let Debbie
know the surgery  was on hold, to let you all, know.  As she said in her
post,it has been a monster of a week. We appreciate all your good thoughts
and drool.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org <http://www.seniorhoundsabound.org/>