[Dailydrool] our Thanksgiving miracles/ Gracie and Elmo update

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 17:28:58 PST 2010

This past Sunday Bill and I and our vet were wondering
how Gracie got so sick that we were going to lose her at
almost 9 years old.  And yesterday, just 3 days later, she
was doing amazingly well but now we were going to have
to say  goodbye to our old man Elmo.

Well, I wish you could have all gone with me to take
Gracie to the vet this morning.  We walked in and
signed in and sat down in the waiting room - and
then the whole staff and both vets appeared.  You
could tell they had come to find out about Elmo and
that they "knew" he was gone.  The look on their
faces was priceless when I said that if they were
wondering about Elmo,  he was probably still
barking his head off because he was totally
p.o.'d that he didn't get to ride in the car. .  . it
was a great moment!  And another great moment
was when they gave me Gracie's test result on
her albumin test - NORMAL!

Elmo's not as dramatic as Pw Elder Clara, but
he gets his point across, too.  Fortunately, Bill
fell well enough to eat a little Thanksgiving dinner
last night. As I was putting the food on the table,
Elmo suddenly put his head up (he had not
moved, drank, peed nor pooped since 9 a.m.
and it was then 6:00 ).  As we ate our dinner,
he very gradually edged off the bed. . .  and
then gave one of his woofs.  Not very loud, but
a woof, just the same.  A tiny taste of mashed
potato was taken off my finger and in that moment
we knew he was going to get better.

And then he peed and had a BIG drink of water.
He's doing great today although he's tired and
his poops aren't back to normal. I have a concern
about his heart and that will be checked out. He's
eating 2 tsp. of low residue food every hour today
and we'll increase as his poops improve.

Well, our prayers were answered and we got our
miracles.  It almost seems like a bad dream  although
I am sure my credit card bill will prove it to be a reality
along with a cabinet full of ID and low residue foods.
Bosley would like to know what the hey happened
to the treats . . .   there are none right now.

I am catching up on some much needed sleep
and pondering how it all happened.  The power of
drool is so amazing as is the power of caring friends -
I don't think we could have gotten through all of this
without all of  you.  Thank you from the bottom of
our hearts for being there.

Donna and Bill and Elmo, Gracie and Bosley