[Dailydrool] Sisters & bro's, etc.

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Fri Nov 26 22:00:08 PST 2010

Speaking from my incredibly vast experience and time in the company of
dogs, I think everyone should remember that dogs vary mentally and
personality-wise just as much as people do. Bassets are not different in
THAT way from other dogs, whether the others are pure whatevers or
mixes. There are Bassets who are highstrung and never quit being so,
there are those who don't act the way one expects them (or any hound
type to) ever. Some will do and even like to do things you'd expect from
a different breed, and some who apparently couldn't care less about
anything but food, or  some who don't care all that much about eating.
(Some people are like the latter, too, and I'll never understand them,
either!)

Over the years, people have warned me that female Bassets were more
likely to get into fights with other female Bassets than males were
against other males (and that males "never" fought a female). This is
one of those "expert opinions" that are right sometimes and wrong
sometimes and occasionally utter rot (especialty the last one).

The important thing is to remember each dog is different -- not only
different than the one you used to have, but also from what you have now
if you've added one, AND different from what other people have. That is
not to say it isn't good to express concern and ask advice, as long as
you remember your individual dog (wonderful or not so) is uniquely him
or herself. Your experience and that of others may sometimes seem very
much the same, but they can NEVER be identical. We can offer advice and
suggestions, not to mention condolences, but what worked for us MAY work
for you, or may not.

Personally, with years of multiple Bassets -- as few as 5 and as many as
25 at a time, I had only Basset on Basset fight. Except it wasn't really
a fight, so much as the entire pack of 5 adults nearly killing a puppy
they had seemed perfectly accepting of earlier. As it turned out, the
puppy was a hemophiliac -- which we hadn't known until the pack-attack
or whatever it was. Did they do it because THEY knew something was wrong
with it? We'll never know. We had bought her a few weeks earlier and
everyone seemed happy about her presence. An attack like that never
happened again, even though occasional new Bassets joined the family as
the years went by.

Well, to end on a cheerier note, I absolutely agree with the "fact" that
Bassets recognize other Bassets -- which I think is terribly clever of
them, although I haven't ever asked anyone owning some other breed if
their dog recognized dogs of his or her own breed. Maybe it's common,
but I like to think not. On the other hand, that's not always a good
thing. My dear departed Becky could not stand Basset Hounds. She never
fought them or even growled -- she just acted as if they did not exist.
Except for the one in the mirror at the motel when we took her to a
Michigan BR Waddle. She was horrified that there was another Basset in
OUR room and never passed that mirror without telling that other Basset
to get the hell out. She also ignored every other Basset at the Waddle
except the then King, whom she promptly nipped when he tried to say
hello to She Who Was Supposed To Be His Queen. Children can be so
embarrassing.

Riche