[Dailydrool] Max - Blind Puppy

Diane Surman diane512 at ptd.net
Tue Nov 30 04:00:48 PST 2010

Hi,
I just thought I'd give everyone an update on my little guy Max, the puppy
with very poor eye sight.  He is now 16 weeks old and has been with me half
his life, a full 8 weeks now.  He is doing fantastic and loves the other
dogs, especially my 8 year old Basset Daisy.  My older Basset Chloe, who is
11.5, finds him to be a bit annoying at times, but he's learning to not
torment her.  Of course, my 4 year old Collie Murray loves him since they
are matched equally in energy, but even Murray finds him annoying at times.
He is now missing his 2 bottom teeth in the center, so I guess it won't be
long and his puppy teeth will be gone and he'll have his big boy teeth.  He
is a very social dog and seems to love everyone he meets as well as all
other dogs.  It surprises a lot of people at just how outgoing he is, even
my vet was surprised.  I took the dogs to see Santa on Sun. to benefit our
local shelter and the shelter director who is also a dog trainer was shocked
he had such poor eye sight given his outgoing nature.

As far as getting around the house and yard, that has been better then I
thought.  The backyard still worries me a bit with the playhouse and turtle
box in the center of it.  He did bang into the steps leading up to the
playhouse the 1 day with his leg and that was hurting him for a few minutes,
but most of the time he gets around ok.  We may have to fence that in come
spring when the weather is nicer and he wants to be out and about more. We
re playing that by ear and will do what is necessary to keep him safe.  My
sunken family room steps were an issue one day when he misjudged them and
hurt his leg.  No serious injuries, just a few minutes of his leg hurting
and then he was back to normal. That area may need a gate too as he ages,
but we'll see.  He is growing by leaps and bounds and may be able to handle
the steps better as he gets higher off the ground.

It's because of all the people on this list  that took the time to write me
about blind dogs that I went ahead and adopted him. I am thankful to all of
you for taking the time to tell me positive things about owning and living
with a blind dog.  He truly is a blessing and I would have been crazy to
pass him up just because he can't really see.  We love him so much.  Thank
you all!!!

Diane