[Dailydrool] Basset Drama

mary allison-swain mrogue at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:06:01 PDT 2010

Greetings,
 I just thought I would share my scare and my joy with you fellow Daily Droolers.
 My old dog Lazarus just about bit the big one last night, which was my scare! His days are numbered as it is as he has been diagnosed with severe liver disease/cancer. He is my senior love, 14 plus years, loosing tons of weight and slowing disappearing but he actually has had an increase in his appetite lately.I am hoping it is due to the Milk Thistle that he is getting. Last night he, Lazarus ,hurried to gobble down a turkey burger when, Bernie , bottomless pit basset, saw that Laz was 'nt finishing his dinner fast enough and thought he'd steal it from him. Well, Lazarus swallowed too much too fast and literally fell over on his side and was obviously choking. His eyes screamed"HELP ME" and his body started to go through the I'm dying routine of lying on his side with his legs running and stretching his body out stiff and finally going limp, tongue blue.
 I quickly jerked his jaws open and swept his throat to see if I could feel and retrieve the meat without lodging it deeper in his throat. I was unsuccessful, so I hung Lazarus upside down and swung him and beat on him a bit and then gave him an upside down Heimlich maneuver that did the trick and he sucked air. He was shakey and unstable for awhile put I propped him up on his chest and swished his mouth with water until he lapped some up on his own. He was so exhausted and actually looked rather embarrassed about the whole episode. I cradled his old grey face and kissed him on top of his noggin and he settled in on his favorite big pillow to sleep.
 This morning, the joyful bit, is when he was up and at 'em and wanted to eat breakfast.
 I named Lazarus for the fact that he was resurrected at birth and it appears once again now so close to the time of his earthy departure. He is my boy. I love him.
When his real time comes to leave me for heaven, I know I will dearly miss him until we meet again. :)

 Mary and The Hooligan Hounds