[Dailydrool] Violeta's update - having second surgery today

Virginia Oliveira duda.tuppence at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 14 17:20:11 PDT 2010

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all the drool and prayers you guys sent us. It worked for a while but it seems the glaucoma on her left eye is really strong.

She had the laser surgery about 10 days ago and it worked for a while. After the surgery she was seeing and we were really happy but the pressure started to be high again and she lost her sight again. So off to the doc again. So today she had a surgery to insert a shunt, Dr Christmas said that if it was his dog that what he would do. His friend is the one that specializes in this surgery, he seems like a really nice person. We are praying this time it will work and she will keep at least part of her vision.
As a lot of you said, we start to get used to the situation when we notice that she couldn't care less, or doesn't realize that she cannot see but she still needs to learn some helpful behavior commands. I am the one reading the book that was suggested (Doc Christmas gave us one), the dadperson gets too sad still.

We used the "carpet" before stairs trick (thank you Synthia ;-) and it works. She is realizing that after those surfaces comes stairs. She still is the same "hurricane Violeta" when it comes to go up/down the deck stairs but the inside stairs, which she never really "liked" are still a little difficult for her.
I taught her how to get up/down the couch and bed with sounds (tapping on the couch and the box that serves as a step, and saying the names couch/box) She learned fast and I'm so proud of my girl. She still doesn't manage the house but everything is very new and her vision was coming and going. Now we don't know if it will come back. There is still chance and we pray it will but I am preparing myself and dadperson in case it won't.
When I got there on Thanksgiving day she was blind but still came running with her tail in helicopter style. But she almost fell from my elevator, we got really scared - she didn't. Yes, we suffer way more than her.
Please have your babies sling as much drool as possible for her. Xaxa is eating sardines and producing his super-sticky healing sardine-drool. Let's hope it works and in the war sardine x glaucoma, we have sardine winning big time.
Prayers will be welcome and any other positive thought.
Lub you all
Virginia, Xaxa, Violeta and dadperson