[Dailydrool] October 16 calendar hound

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 21:36:14 PDT 2010

Today (I think it will be today when the next post comes out), Oct. 16's
calendar hound is our Harley (of Hawaii); PBF lewd-tenant in charge of counter
intelligence.

Harley is our heart hound. I know I usually write about Bo, because it is Bo who
excels in extreme bassetude, but Harley is the apple of our eyes. Harley came to
us four years ago, and we are his seventh home. Knowing him as we now do, we
think he simply insisted on better and better treatment until he landed with us.
Two homes before us, he had been chained to a doghouse outdoors, flea-ridden and
underweight--and had barked his way into relocation. The home before us was a
loving one, but the slaves traveled extensively and Harley was shuttled between
friends' homes and kennels for months at a time until his owners felt he
deserved a chance at something more stable (especially since he went on hunger
strikes when they were away). The first night Harley did a "sleepover" with us,
he moaned piteously until I gathered him into my arms, sang him to sleep, and
slept with him hugged to my chest all night like a teddybear. Well, you can
guess where he has slept every night since.

Harley is our alarm clock. At 6 AM every morning he rouses, walks from my hip
onto my chest and then rolls over so that he is lodged upside down, all four
feet in the air, in the crook of my arm, head next to mine dispensing snooter
kisses to my ear. During the day he is seldom more than 3 or 4 feet from me.
Harley is always up for either a hike or a nap depending on what suits us. He
even plays fetch. He is extremely cooperative and puts up with Bo's stubbornness
and quirks with great patience. If Bo is grumpy, Harley gives him wide berth
except to sneak up on him and lick his face. It is Harley who romps with the
drop-in canine visitor, Ratface Ruby the chihuahua. My DH says that he (Bill)
puts up with both Ruby and Bo because Harley likes them!

So, happy gotcha day, Harley. We're glad we gotcha. No more moving around for
you. The picture with the cone of shame in the calendar was after Harley rushed
up wagging his tail to a less than friendly rottweiler at the dogpark, who
proceded to nail Harley and rip holes in Harley's throat. The vet at the Humane
Society attached to the park patched Harley up. On our way from the vet's office
to our car, who should we spy leaving the dogpark but the attacker rottweiler.
Harley started wagging his tail again and wanted to rush over and try to make
friends again, "no hard feelings". Harley is friendly and forgiving to a
fault--common sense, no. But he is just a super dog. You can see another picture
of Harley on the first page of the PBF crew photos
(http://www.pacificbassetfeet.net/) Aloha. Val, Bo, and today's calendar hound,
Lt. Harley of Hawaii