[Dailydrool] Stinky Flew Syndrome ? - advice please also re Benzoyl Peroxide

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 14:04:37 PDT 2010

So Morse went to the vets today, and she didnt think he was particularly
stressed (in fact she smiled when I asked if she thought he might be a little
stressed, but then at the time he was lounging on her table looking particularly
bored and laidback; she thought he might be a little put out that we have moved
and slightly more hangdog than normal!), his teeth are fine apart from a little
normal tartar, but she thought the smell was due to the lips\flews. I was really
surprised at this as I have a constant towel or flannel on hand 24\7 for Morse
and lose count of the amount of times I wipe his face every day, as well as
wiping his mouth\ears after every treat, meal or drink, and when we return home
from a walk. So she has prescribed Cephacare antibiotics for 2 weeks as well as
Hibiscrub to be diluted and applied to his mouth area with swabs, then make sure
the area is completely dry afterwards. I think this has possibly happened
because Morse has been a bit stressed and licking his lips alot, and so they
have been wetter than normal. The spot on his butt has broken out again with a
few spots and the vet feels the antibiotics will help with this too. Plus I was
mortified when she found some flea dirts on him - I only wondered again if it
was fleas on Sunday and checked, but couldnt find anything. I only deflead Morse
3 weeks ago and Acclaim'd everywhere too - so the vet and I think that the
cottage we are renting probably has got fleas from previous residents with their
dogs. So more flea treatment too. And as well as using Fuciderm I have bought
some Aloe Vera cooling gel for his hot spots, hope this helps.

My question is that I did a bit of research on the DD archives just now and
great information from Bev Momperson 2 years ago with the same thing (Mitchell)
- Bev, do I need to also add acne gel too, like the acne treatment Oxy 10 that
contains Benzoyl Peroxide?  There arent any interactions with epilepsy are
there?
Also, I am using swabs to apply the hibiscrub then just wiping gently with a
towel, but is this too rough? Is there anything else I can use?

thanks droolers for any advice -

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB x