[Dailydrool] Tramadol

ypppmaureen at aol.com ypppmaureen at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 19:21:54 PDT 2010

Hi Nancy,

My mother and I both owned Bichons that took tramadol for different reasons. My mother's dog had surgery on his knee and for the better part of the last 2-3 years of his life took tramadol quite often.
My dog was experiencing arthritis and was put on Tramadol as well. He wasn't on it on a daily basis, I gave it to him when I noticed he really needed it.
Neither of our dogs suffered any side effects from the drug, but then again they weren't on it for long periods of time. I'd have to say that my mother's dog took it much more often than mine did and for longer periods of time and he never had any problems with his organs. They were both 15 when they went to the bridge.
I guess it's like us, some of us react differently to medications than others do. I would say to just try it out and see how it works for your baby. As far as the kidney function is concerned, that can be a concern of itself without drugs due to the age aspect. I certainly wouldn't let that be the reason why I wouldn't give it to my dog. If it helps with the pain, and makes the dog more comfortable, then it's worth it to keep it up.
Blessings to you and your gang,
Maureen