[Dailydrool] udate - long

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 13:20:36 PDT 2010

My precious Daily Drool Friends. I have been so anxious to write this update but
forced myself to wait until the time was right.  Today, the time is right, we
are home.

It was 6 months on Friday that we experienced our tragic fire and the loss of my
wonderful Basset babies, Hollyberry and Noah. A tough day, to be sure. But
surely in the dark night of the soul, bright flows the river of God...and so it
did, through all of you. I have never in my life experienced such love and
concern from friends...let alone from those of you whom I had never met. Carl
and I were overwhelmed by your generosity and support...emotional and financial
and spiritual...you are amazing. So here is how far we have come in the past 6
months.

After staying in a friends cabin for 3 weeks after the fire,we moved into a
rental house and I purchased those things that we needed to live from
day-to-day. I used your gift cards and money for furniture, clothing, toiletries
and so much more. Hardly a day went by those first 6 weeks that there wasn't a
contact from one of you. I shed a lot of tears, I slept with 2 little stuffed
Bassets that were sent to me and tried to decided what we should do next. As
many of you know Carl had been diagnosed with Alzheimers recently and he could
not help with many of the decisions that needed to be made. Your love and
support to me were a vital reminder that life goes on and help and caring are
still part of the human spirit.

At 3 weeks I began to search for a builder and at 6 weeks I had found the right
company. He and I designed a "Basset-friendly" home and within the month
building had begun. At that I point I began the tedious process of writing THE
INVENTORY of all that was lost. It was a 6 weeks process, then another 6 weeks
for the company to review it and another 6 weeks to have them cut us a check.
Sometime during the process I saw Thelma on the GABR website and fell in love
with her.  Jan Marchlewski fostered her for a lot longer than normal and on Sept
19...she became ours.  Once more, your love and support to me were a vital
reminder that life goes on and help and caring are still part of the human
spirit.

Today, I am sitting in the new house, Thelma is asleep on her footstool, the
football game is on the TV and Carl is enjoying the afternoon sun sitting in his
recliner. (He broke his hip 2 weeks ago and is currently in a rehab center for a
few more days but I brought him home for Sunday dinner). Today, I cooked dinner
for us and 2 grandkids in my new kitchen, did laundry in the new laundry
room...and will probably head to the couch for a nap. My spirit is intact, the
dark night of the soul is beginning to receed and the river of God is flowing
and the blessings of friendship and love have prevailed. Thank you friends. I
will be forever grateful and in your debt. May I rise to the occassion in the
future on behalf of someone else in the same way in which you have helped me.
Never, ever doubt the impact of the little things...cards, emails, smiles and
hugs...for they are a vital reminder that life goes on and help and caring are
still part of the human spirit.
Snooters,
Maggie Honnold
Thelma Lou and soon to be Elder Fiona (GABR foster)
Holly berry (ATB) and Noan (ATB)