[Dailydrool] moving/dog dumping

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 06:04:24 PDT 2010

I have also noticed how many basset posts have seemed to be from owner
moving and dog was dumped. I don't remember which rescue, but I do know they
are not close by where I live (NY)--they recently had a basset male taken in
whom I think was 9. The moving, the baby excuse, and my life has changed and
I don't have time for my ONE dog sends my blood pressure rising. That 9 year
old male basset--I hope he finds a loving home. He looks like such a
sweetheart.  A person can move with a dog. Maggie will be 11 next month. She
is our eldest basset. She mvoved with us from Cheyenne, Wyoming to NY by car
(2). She moved to Gouverneur to my mom's house, then to Corning, NY to a
house we rented. She then moved back to my mom's with us after lay off, and
then to another house we rented in Gouverneur. Her final move was with us to
Fulton, NY where we purchased our own home and added 4 more hounds to the
mix. Maggie has literally travelled across part of the country and adjusted
quite well.  As far as the kid excuse--we got Maggie to be raised with our
kids. I was raised with all kinds of animals and want that for my children.
I personally believe it is something that every child should have the chance
to do (unless they are deathly allergic) and it helps teach them
responsibility that is supervised by a parent. My youngest was 9 months old
when Maggie came to live with us and my eldest was 23 months old. Maggie did
wonderful with them and continues to with all of the children in my extended
family. My husband got orders to Italy from Cheyenne and one of the things
that we were worried about was quarantine of Maggie.  That was one of the
reasons that he got out of active duty Air Force and joined the National
Guard.  Sure, I've had to make some alterations in my life due to
circumstances such as my health--I had to stop fostering with the 5 we have
due to having a job also. It just seems like to me that some people think
animals are disposeable.  I think of them as part of the family. I do as
much as I can for each child that I have--all 7 of them (2 human and 5
hounds). That is my personal feelings though and it is obvious that all out
there don't share the same. It's a shame, but rescue is also beneficial to
the animals that do get the chance to get there and not meet the gas chamber
as is the reality for some.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,