[Dailydrool] The power of protest

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 00:45:05 PDT 2010

There was an interesting situation this week on Oahu. I have pieced together
what happened from posts on Craigslist and may not have the facts entirely
straight, but here is what seems to have happened. There were two dogs chained
on short leashes without shelter or water at a gas station. (Not basset hounds).
The dogs were acting in the capacity of guard dogs. Both were apparently quite
emaciated, as shown by pictures posted on Craigslist. The person who posted the
pictures notified the humane society, as did several other people apparently,
and an investigation was started, but the dogs were not confiscated by the HHS.
(I do not know why--on the Animal Cops programs on television, the dogs are
usually taken). The Craigslist poster continued to follow up with the HHS, who
apparently had given the dog owner a grace period in which to comply with
directives to feed, shelter, and provide water to the dogs. The poster was not
satisfied with this result, given the serious condition of the dogs, and put out
an appeal on Craigslist for dog lovers to show up at a certain time and plan to
stay (on public land) and protest until something was done for the dogs. The HHS
advised against this plan, warning against taking matters outside legal channels
(though peaceful protest is legal). More than twenty civilians showed up outside
the gas station to protest and called the media. The HHS came to the rally. The
dogs still had no food or water or shelter. The gas station owner surrendered
the dogs to the HHS to end the commotion. Both dogs have been promised new homes
by people at the protest. I liked this story.