[Dailydrool] Dealing with a mildly demented dog (not a joke)

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 15:07:07 PDT 2010

I wrote to Linda off-line about Nelly's in the house peeing, but then it
occurred to me it might be helpful to others to share some of the tricks we have
developed for dealing with Bo.

As many of you know who have followed Bo's saga over the past year, he has had
four major surgeries. There was an unexplained internal injury on his plane
flight to our new home; then after moving here Bo developed severe ulcerative
colitis, and as a side effect of straining to poop, he herniated two muscles
which needed repairing. One of the repairs failed and needed a second repair.
Through all of this, his meds. were being adjusted. He was on prednisone for
awhile, and now is on a more intestine specific steroid, Budesonide. For the
past few months Bo has been pretty well, all things considered, and has regained
a spark and enjoyment in life. He is 7. However, between all the surgeries and
meds., we believe he has become mildly demented. This manifests itself in an
increase in bassetude (stubborness), increased fear of new situations, but
especially a bit of disorientation after dark (sundowning). Sometimes the urge
to pee seems to simply overtake him, and he stands and squats (even inches from
the doggie door). This happens most frequently if he has just awakened or
awakens at night.

We have taken several steps which really seem to help. First, at night we leave
lights on in all of the rooms leading to the doggie door. We have a solar
controlled light just outside the doggie door on the foundation of the house. We
have placed the water bowl next to the doggie door (so that if Bo takes a drink,
the doggie door is right there). We take him out to pee maybe four times a day
on a leash and for as long a walk as he can manage at 6 AM upon rising and at 9
PM before going to bed. The doggie door is always available to a fenced yard. If
Bill or I should get up ourselves during the night (and wake Bo) we go out in
the backyard with him till he pees. We always take him out before leaving the
house for any reason. And I bought a big Bissell carpet shampooer and shampoo
all the rugs every 2 weeks with Pet Odor and Stain remover shampoo.

Are these steps 100% effective? No. But maybe 90%. We know we will have to
replace the carpeting if and when we move (we are renters). In the house we
still own and rent to others on Oahu, we have put in all tile and wood
floors--we rent to people with pets; seems only fair. If we should ever buy
here, we will rip out all carpeting and replace with tile and wood as well. We
are hopeful that with time, Bo may improve even more, though he has never been
the sharpest tack in the box. But we are not holding our breaths and take him as
he is. His twin brother, Harley, by the way, is healthy as a horse, sleeps
through the night and never has accidents.