[Dailydrool] Pee and Poop

Dan Hickey d_hickey at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 6 22:24:04 PDT 2010

Hearing all these stories, I realize how smart (lucky) I am. 25 years ago we
got a doggy door and taught or first basset, Tamad, how to use it. It took a
couple weeks of effort. He already knew the back yard was his place to go.
Once he knew HOW to go in and out, he made the connection to use it for his
trips to eliminate. It was easy. Then we brought home Sepag. Tamad did the
heavy lifting and in less than three days the pet store puppy "got it." The
whole thing, eliminating outside and using the dog door to get there. Over
the years the basset(s) in the house taught each newcomer with literally
zero effort on our part. We now have 4, from the 14 year old shelter dog to
the pair of 3 year old show girls. I can count the accidents we've had in
the house in the last 10 years on my fingers. Thank Dog they're pack
motivated.

We do restrict the dogs to the family room and the kitchen/breakfast area
with wood and tile floors. Rarely, before a dog show or a special activity
someone will get to sleep upstairs with the people, what a treat. No
accidents, ever! So any accident I see is a clear indication someone has a
medical problem. Identify the perp and off to the vet.

Dan Hickey and the Jewelbox gang
Tamad, Sepag, Ganda, & Dumbo ATB
Mutya	- 14
Diamond - 5 - Ch Arrowhead Diamond in da Ruff CD
Ruby - 3 - Ch Bassbarr Janice
Emerald - 3 - Bassbarr Jennifer