[Dailydrool] Vets vs Reality

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:34:18 PDT 2010

I have said this before and it is not a slam against Vets. God knows I would
be the last person on the Drool to pick on Veterinarians.
That said.
I think--no, I know-- that there is often an unintentional gap between the
information about care and the actual care-giving, of which many
Veterinarians seem blithely unaware.
I know the Vet's and techs where I worked had the option of having their
pets neutered, spayed, various surgeries done, and leaving the pet at the
clinic. They Vet is there every day, has keys, can visit whenever, but the
scut work belongs to the kennel staff and the techs.
"Keep him quiet for the next week"
How many of us have heard that as we hold our struggling, licking, wiggling,
LETSGOLETSGOLETSGO LOOK A SQUIRRELABIRD ABUNNYATREAT!!! puppy in our arms as
we pay the bill for neutering, setting the broken leg, and trying to avoid
the sharp edges of the E-collar at the same time.
Oh yeah. Why don't YOU come to my house and keep him quiet?

"Don't let him exercise at all. You know-- on a leash, in and out to potty,
that's it." they tell you of the 5 yrs old foster who has never been crated
in his life and howls without stopping, spins in the crate, shits, pees, and
barks incessantly.

"Keep the e-collar on." And my absolute, 100% percent favorite:

"Now we wrapped that foot. Keep the wrap dry. If she goes out in the rain
put a plastic baggie over it. If it gets wet change it right away or bring
her back in and we will change it. Don't let her take it off and lick that
foot!"
I have sometimes not even made it home. And the worst one was Llewis who not
only removed his belly wrap but, I thought, ate about half the gauze which
would probably have required surgery had I been right. I was wrong.

MomPerson, been there, done that on both sides.
And Llewis, Nigel, Conley and Cooper, at the spa, getting beautiful again.

Uh hunh. That's a great one.

"Give her these three times a day, this once a day, and the drops go in her
food" they tell you of the Basset with the huge black nose who entire life
is tied up in scent and being able to catch the slightest whiff of
change...spit spit spit.