[Dailydrool] tapeworms

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 07:16:21 PDT 2010

Tapeworm eggs are infrequently passed in stool thus why you rarely if ever see them in a fecal sample.  But the fecal sample is useful if there are other worms.  OTC dewormer is a huge rip off since it almost never works.  Most of them are old treatment for roundworms only and aren't used by vets anymore because better more effective medications have been developed.  Depending on the medication you were given to treat the tapeworms that medication might also cover roundworms, whipworms and hookworms.
Strongid doesn't kill tapeworms- only rounds, whips and hooks

Be careful with medication and bombs that have Permethrin because this can cause fatally in cats.  Remove everyone from the house when bombing.

The expensive meds are normally more expensive than $33 and a fecal for $18 is a bargin.  Of course prices vary depending on the cost of living in that area but you weren't ripped off.  Drontal is an expensive med for vets to buy and therefore for owners to buy.  Thus "an ounce of prevention IS worth a pound of cure." Ben Frankin was so smart.  I assure you vets aren't trying to rip you off, they are just trying to help and medical care is expensive.  Imagine if you didn't have health insurance for yourself what you would be paying.  A normal pinning of a broken leg in a dog is $3,000, for mine it was $50,000.  Good thing I had insurance or I would be a crippple!

I'm glad things are on the mend!

Laura
Flash
and Ryu