[Dailydrool] Clover's memorial (long)

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Sep 14 08:41:02 PDT 2010

Well, it has been a bit over a month since saying goodbye to our sweet Clover.  I have been through the crazy time at work and can now attempt to write something intelligent about her.

Clover was a "Velveteen" basset, with a black and tan coat and very little white on her chest.  Her coat was extremely short and fine with hardly any underfluffies, and she was a big boned healthy girl.  People (morons) often asked if she was mixed with blood hound, because "Bassets ain't supposed to be that color!"  She was a beautiful basset, with all the appropriate basset traits, there was no mistaking her for anything else if you had at least 2 brain cells working at the same time!

Clover loved to get up on furniture, but we had to put a stop to that when I noticed her weakness in the hind end.  Poor baby didn't really understand, but at least she could always walk.  I remember when we first got her.  Hubby's first basset had gotten loose and been killed on the road in front of our house.  I made him wait at least 3 months before allowing him to get another dog.  He found Clover somewhere near New Boston, and she spent her first day with us in the car on my lap.  The first basset we had was a snarkey girl, and I was determined that this one would not get away with that so started conditioning her right from the beginning.  Clover was named because I garden and the red Clover was in bloom at the time.  She was our Clover Rover, Baby Waby, Waggy Butt, Nosy girl.  She alternatively answered to Clover or Waby, and was referred to in conversation at "The Wabe".  It was like a royal title.

Clover was also very smart.  When she was about 25lbs I decided she was old enough to go to her crate without being carried, I decided that she should learn how to walk there on command.  After an hour of trying to make the sleeping puppy actually stand up and walk, with her squeezing her eyes shut and collapsing the front or back half of her body as soon as my hands left it, I did end up carrying her to bed.  Once I picked her up her tail wagged nonstop and if she could have winked her eye because she won that battle, she would have!  After that I used bologna to bribe her to bed, and from then on she would race me to her crate and be waiting for me to give her a treat.

She was the most reliable dog I have ever had, never counter cruised, never knocked over the garbage, never shredded anything, or chewed shoes, socks or undies.  This is NOT a trait that was passed on to her pups!  I could, however, always count on her to raid nasty bathroom trash, or destroy spools of ribbon whenever she found them.  Just her quirks I guess.

Clover loved to wear a bandanna, pearls, or a tshirt.  I think it is silly to dress up a dog unless there is a very good reason for it.  The look of joy on her face when wearing a bandanna was a often good enough reason to put one on her.

She was Daddy's evening snuggle buddy, and the house alarm if anything was amis.  Every evening Daddy would lay on the floor and give her a good snuggle after I had gone to bed.  I swear that dog got more attention than I ever have.  Then again, she didn't nag him about dirty dishes on the living room floor either!

And that tail, like the thick part of a bullwhip!  Clover loved percussion, and would position herself so her tail would make the most noise possible.  Against the outside of our bedroom door when we tried to sleep in, against a paper bag when we ate something she wanted, against the table leg, a random box,  any furniture that was hollow.  If she wanted your attention and nudging you didn't work, she began drumming.

There are so many more things I could say about her, but there is so little space and time to do it.  Clover was a stoic girl throughout her Cancer, and she lasted longer than anyone had a right to expect.  We have a giant poster sized portrait of Clover and Bubby hanging in the living room.  Miss them both, but they are together again waiting for us on the other side.

I have only been scanning the drool intermittently for the last few months and I know I have missed some important things, including the passing of Drool Mom Nancy's Scooter Pie.  I wish I could write all of you who have lost a hound and give you some comfort also. Thank you to all who were able to find time to send condolences and love notes to myself and others.  We really appreciate it all your kind thoughts.  If I missed any personal responses I apologize, life is crazy hard in August, let alone allowing a long time friend to depart with dignity.  Rick (DH) and I truly appreciate you all more than you can know.

Grace and peace to all
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!