[Dailydrool] Peanut and the Dragonflies

decadog at cox.net decadog at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 23:25:16 PDT 2010

Michele's posting about dragonflies took me back in time. Our now very senior and gimpy 15 y.o. Basset, Peanut, had such a love for dragonflies. And they seemed to feel the same way about him. It isn't often you get dragonflies in the desert, but they do appear after some rain activity (rare here!). On many occasions one would hover over Peanut when he was outside in the bright sun, casting a shadow on the ground. Peanut would see the shadow and start chasing it and pouncing. I swear the dragonfly either knew what Peanut was doing and played along, or was equally fascinated by this red and white bouncing hound. We would laugh until our sides hurt. He never once looked up to see the dragonfly, just kept his eyes on the shadow. After awhile, both would tire of the game and we'd have to wait for another dragonfly to appear. Our sweet guy's eyes are now dim and his arthritic legs don't pounce anymore, but he was once the Great Hunter of Dragonfly Shadows. Thanks for the memories.
Darlene
www.lasvegasbassetrescue.com