[Dailydrool] Need some advice for Barney

Judi Dunham houndies2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 11:48:57 PDT 2010

My beautiful Barney, 13 1/2, has Cushing's and has been on Lysodren for
about 6 months. He is doing very well with that and goes to the vet soon for
blood work. The problem seems to be that he has lost feeling in his hind
quarters to a great extent. Still walks around and will go up a step or 2,
although slowly. But he has trouble controlling his stool, and sometimes his
pee. Lately the stool has been very soft, not diarrhea exactly, but soft
enough to just slip out. I really think that most of the time he doesn't
feel the onset, and so will walk along leaving piles.
What I need is some info on how to firm up the droppings. Is there some over
the counter item that would be safe? Or some homepathic remedy? I have to
keep him on boiled chicken and rice, or it's even worse. He is such a good
boy and I know it bothers him terribly when he realizes what has happened.
Every time I read about an older gentlehound leaving for the bridge, I hug
my boy because I know his time is coming. It is so hard. Drool for all those
who are ill, and a comforting thought to those who have lost their special
pets.

Judi
Barney - I love my Mom.
Tucker - Me too.