[Dailydrool] "Replacing" your ATB Basset Hound

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 17:55:57 PDT 2010

 First, I am sorry about the loss of your Barnaby.  No matter how long we have our furbabies it is NEVER long enough.  Grief at their loss has no timetable - it is what it is.  Some folks need time to adjust and others miss their hound so much that they feel the need to get another - not a "replacement" but another houndie to help fill the hole the loss of their former friend has left in their heart.

I am curious about a couple of things, however.  Why would you think that because your boyfriend has a terrier that this disallows you from getting a rescue hound?  Do they live with you?  If so, are you thinking that if you got an adult hound there might be an issue with his dog adjusting to a new member of the household?  This can happen with ANY breed - and if one introduces the new dog in a neutral environment, they usually sort our their pack order issues with time, on their own.  You should do what is best for YOU.

If you really prefer a puppy, don't discount rescues.  They often have puppies, both Basset and mixes, which need forever homes.  Just remember, puppies are a TON of work and Basset puppies are stubborn, tenacious and often difficult to housebreak- so be prepared.  I would contact your local Basset rescue organization, tell them your situation and accept their guidance.  That's what they are there for.

Good luck in making the best decision for you...and any new fur friend.

Sandi