[Dailydrool] Birthday repawt

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Sep 25 18:03:16 PDT 2010

Yesterday was my fourteenth birthday. First, the mama forgot about it, but
she came through later in the day with flying colors by making me a
banana-oatmeal cake that sure was tasty. Abner and I love nanners, and even
Jane seemed to enjoy this cake, maybe because it was my special cake.
Nothing in it to cause my tummy upset, but it was so good!

But later in the evening, we had an untoward event. Mom was sitting there
watching TV and dad was elsewhere when suddenly there was a loud crack, and
all the lights went out. It was not the kind of birthday event I wanted or
expected. After all, I don't see so well when the light isn't good, and when
there isn't any light at all, I'm blind. Even Jane wasn't happy. When she
heard mama moving around, trying to find a candle and match, she started
barking at her. She knew something was wrong.

Mom and dad lit all the candles they could find and pulled out flashlights,
but I still wasn't happy. Candle light isn't all that good to see by,
'specially when you don't see all that well; I just couldn't settle down.
Dad thinks it was a squirrel that chewed through something on the
transformer, but who knows? We just wanna thank PSE&G for getting here and
getting our lights on again in about two hours. As soon as the lights came
back on, I stopped being nervous, and mom could be happy again.

I've never been one to chase squirrels, but I'm beginning to think I ought
to start doing so. Maybe Ruger and his crew could come for a visit?
Belvedere the Birthday Boy, part of the Dashing Bassets