[Dailydrool] Barney and counter cruising

Shirley snoozinhounds at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:30:01 PDT 2011

Barney was a basset of  great skill when it came to counter surfing.  He
never did it when we were around so one morning I was making breakfast for
my husband and it was almost ready.  I went to the bottom of the stairs to
tell him to come down for breakfast.  Down he came and as I cooked the eggs
he looked in the pan and it was empty.  That quick Barney had jumped on the
window seat, from there he had jumped to the counter and taken the spam out
of the skillet.  It is a wonder that he didn't burn his lips.  I smelled
everyones breath and of course he was the one with the spam breath.

Another time I was doing a home visit for a rescue and the kind people had
laid a milk bone out for him.  I took him on home visits since he was well
behaved.  As we entered the kitchen of the potential adopters my well
mannered Barney in one great swoop stood on his hind legs  snatched the bone
off the counter and proceeded to chew away.  I was so embarrassed I wanted
to shoot him.  But at least the applicants got a firsthand look at a basset
in action.

Shirley Mueller

Mom to Sally Belle and Gordy