[Dailydrool] Multiple hound households

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:54:03 PDT 2011

I have a question for those of you with multiple hounds. Ginger has always
been our aggressive Houndette and we watch her like a hawk. She is a true
red zone dog when she gets on a roll but we know her triggers and our
trainer, Dawn (who is on this list), has given us some terrific rules to
live by which work very well for the most part. Lately though, everyone
seems to be on edge. I'm not sure if the pack is realigning themselves or
what is going on. Well, actually it's the three younger dogs. None of them
question Jersey's position at the top of the pack but Shadow, Ginger and
Suzy have all been pretty snarky with each other. This morning Ginger and
Suzy really got into it over a toy that Suzy loves and Ginger was
possessing. Suzy actually started the fight and it got REALLY intense. I
have spray bottles scattered around the house but I didn't have one right
there. I keep collars on the girls all of the time so I was able to wade in
and separate the two but they were really going at it. So I'm holding the
two apart for a couple of minutes till all of us catch our breath and then
they start licking each other and all is calm again. I know they're going to
get into it once in a while but these three Houndettes are really testy with
each other lately. Anyone else having this problem? Is it the change of
season or is there something else that I need to be watching for? No one
appears to be ill or having any physical problems at all but I'd like to
avoid another morning like this one if we can. All are spayed females so
that's not an issue. Fortunately, no one got really hurt and I was lucky
that they didn't nail me. I found a little blood on Suzy's neck but no
puncture marks on either of them so I think someone has something bleeding
in their mouth that I'll look for later today. The other thing that I'm
worried about is, if this is a pack order issue, do I need to worry about
Jersey? She is older and rules with an iron paw but she does it with her
dominant attitude. She has pushed the other dogs around with her chest and
personality but has never gotten into an actual fight with any of them.
She's put them all on their back a few times but it's never been in a
fight. Believe me, she is 100% bassitude! She's getting older and I
absolutely don't want her to get into a fight with any of the younger ones.

Jane & the wild women....Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger