[Dailydrool] Spring....somewhere

Emily Davis Gareis earthyoga at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 10:57:05 PDT 2011

First, sending lots of healing drool to all who have lost a beloved hound in the last few weeks and to all those who need a bit of extra drool....just catching up with all.

Now that the 2nd week of April is coming round we here in OH are still fighting with the cold and sometimes even snow - never the less I was able to do a little surveying and really need some HELP!  So what kind of plants are Basset friendly, Basset hardy, can withstand the cold, would get limited sun and won't cost an arm and a leg - other than concrete I haven't been able to come up with anything!  I thought about gravel/rocks too but LaVerne has a thing for anything small enough to get in her mouth....she loves to toss rocks around - my yard has spots that are a mushy spongy disgusting mess!  Grass does NOT grow with the girls...thought about trying sod but that would be pretty expensive and probably wouldn't withstand the traffic of 12 basset and 4 beagle paws.

On another note my 16 yr old beagle Princess went into heat a few weeks ago much to everyone's surprise since my ex had told me he had her spade 14 yrs ago....in the 12 yrs I have had her she never once went into heat so I never thought a thing about it....let's just say it was almost as if she was rejuvenated!  She is just fine and now that little fiasco is over and my hopes are that she won't do that again for another 12 years!  All I can say it was quite the surprise for everyone - including the vet!

I'll take all suggestions on the yard!  Wishing I could get HGTV to adopt it!

Emily and the Gareis girls, Maggie, Bailey, LaVerne & Princess