[Dailydrool] Bassets (& mastiffs!) on the run

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 19:30:15 PDT 2011

My daughter and I took off yesterday to do some errand running and have
lunch together while the DH was at work for part of the day. As always, she
brought over her two mastiffs to spend time with the Houndettes so all six
dogs were here when the DH got home. So he let the four Houndettes and the
two mastiffs out like he always does and then went to watch some TV. Well,
he happened to look out of the window just in time to see Jersey run full
tilt up the street. Yep, all six dogs were out of the fence and on the
prowl. What made it even worse was that he was here all alone trying to
round up six dogs. What a mess! One mastiff is scared of her own shadow so
went right back in the fenced yard. The other mastiff was following Suzy &
Ginger up the street, Shadow was across the street and Jersey was no where
to be seen. The mastiff and Shadow actually stopped and came when called but
there were still three hounds that had completely disappeared by then. Total
panic! He found Jersey a couple of houses away in our neighbors back yard
and got her back in the fence. Then started running up the street in the
other direction just in time to see another neighbor herd Suzy and Ginger
around the house next door to his house. Thank doG for good neighbors!
Everyone knows that the Houndettes are NEVER allowed to run loose so we're
so grateful that he was willing to help wrangle those two. We'll never know
how the gate got opened but both gates now have solid locks on them and only
four people in the whole world have the combinations to them. I don't think
that the DH has recovered even yet from his panic. The poor guy would
definitely have a few more gray hairs after the scare he had yesterday (that
is, if he had any hair!!).

The Houndettes send heart healing and get well drool to all in need with
extra drool being slung by the mastiffs. We don't have an official OEBE here
(believe me, Ginger is working at it!) but we will light a candle on
Tuesday in honor of OEBE Memorial Day.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with mastiffs Sasha & Brutus