[Dailydrool] Red Zone dogs

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 07:59:49 PDT 2011

I have had some red zone dogs come through rescue and I agree with Dawn they
can never be trusted. I have had three fingertips bitten off and chunks of
skin taken fom my thighs by red zone bassets.
We did have one who was our first rescue that we rehabilitated and he never
bit us again after seeing a dog Psychiatrist but I would not tempt him
either.He was the best behaved dog I ever had after we took him to
Psychotherapy he came when I said come he sat when I said sit I never saw
such a good Basset boy but like I said I would not do anything to spark bad
behavior in him. We had Rocky nine years and he died a year ago he never bit
anyone after training.
A friend of mine took in a Basset that had been abused a very standoffish
quiet little seven month old baby girl. I told her she might be a problem
but since it was a puppy she thought she could save her and she had her six
years and everything was fine then one day she dropped a piece of  food on
the floor while preparing dinner bent over to get it and found herself face
to face with a snarling Basset who took her lips off of her face.
My vet says some dogs are so overbred by puppymillers they have some wires
crossed in their heads and something can set them off in an instant. Most
Bassets are gentle and kind but I suppose we will see more and more problems
with overbreeding in this bad economy. Rescues are barely surviving and the
puppymillers just keep breeding and breeding those poor dogs!

On a lighter note

Vote for Belly Rubs Bassets from TN in the challenge here is the link.

 http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/shelterchallenge.faces?siteId=3