[Dailydrool] Pierre jr. Again

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:30:08 PDT 2011

What a kook this dog is, and I say this with my best love, but today he quit early on me during obedience class.  It was an exercise where he is supposed to get a treat on the "go out" command, but then he wanted to steal the lid that held the treat rather than return on the "come" command.  So I am standing there calling "come" and he is grrrrrring me cause he knows he has to abandon the lid, but he is learning "leave it" and this was progress.  Huge conflict for the boy, so I dug out bigger bait, the cheese reward, and then it was all good.  Long story short, training is a blast, and to make this a Pierre is a clown story, we were doing small jumps with barriers in between the left and right one , as if this were "utility" training, and I had to guide Pierre jr. with an arm jest to either one or the other jump.  It was late in the day for him, and despite my efforts to guide him over the "easy" jump choice, Pierre jr. decided to barrel through the barrier that separated the jumps.  His trainer and I just couldn't help but laugh so hard.  She had a basset, and she understands them.  I am wondering, however, if I am overdoing Pierre with back to back classes.  Maybe I should drop the agility (no high obstacles) and just do the obedience.  He was keener when he just did one class a week, but yet, every day, he wants to get in the car and go some where.  Oh how he has trained ME!!!
Healing drool to all in need.
Jackie