[Dailydrool] need help - sorry - long post

Sandra Probola sprobola at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:22:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

I just recently joined the drool again after 2 years.  When my Rosie passed
away, I didn't think I ever wanted to have another basset.  Of course, that
is not reality.  Anyhow, within the last 2 weeks, I have now acquired 2!
The first one is 4 months old and her owner was deployed to Afghanistan and
the husband did not want to be bothered to have her - so I have her now and
she is wonderful.

The second one is not as wonderful - at least for now.  While looking around
for a puppy, I   discovered a breeder close to my home - Lauradale Kennels.
She told me she had no puppies at the present time, but had a 4 year old
female that she was willing to give me as long as I promised not to breed
her.  I debated because the breeder told me that this 4 year old had been
kept in an indoor/outdoor kennel all her life, but had been socialized with
humans, kids and other dogs so she was good to go.  The breeder said she had
to make room for a new blood line she was getting.  I was a little
skeptical, but something kept telling me I should have this one.  I picked
her up Friday evening.  She is a beautiful basset (aren't they all??), but
scared to death.  When the breeder brought her out to me on leash she was
cowering and had her tail between her legs.  The breeder said it would take
her a few days to get used to me and my family and my home, but she should
be fine.  Well, she is not fine.  She was extremely dirty and she is
petrified of everything!!  She is having a hard time getting used to going
to the bathroom in my yard because I guess she has never been on grass!  She
is refusing to eat her food, with the exception of a few treats here and
there.  She runs and hides in the corner of my kitchen.  It seems she has
never been exposed to anything in the outside world.  Can anyone give me
advice on how to work with her?  I am willing to do whatever it takes to
take care of her.  The breeder also said to feed her Diamond food which she
wants to parts of but that might be part of her anxiety issues right now not
wanting to eat.  The breeder said if she had problems we could take her
back, but I have got news for that breeder - she will never go back there!
Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated.  She deserves to be
pampered and she will be once she learns to trust.

Sorry for the long post.

Sandy