[Dailydrool] Treat aggression issue with 8-month-old Quincy

Vicki Kerns vickikerns at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:21:28 PDT 2011

My hounds have (mostly) always gotten along, but I saw an issue with my
8-month-old Quincy boy this weekend that rather startled me. I've seen the
hounds get grumpy, snarly, and snippy with treat sharing in the past (not
with their food bowls, just treats), but I had given Quincy a marrow-filled
bone (keeps him entertained) while the others were sleeping. After chewing
on it awhile, he walked away & my 10-year-old girl, Cleo, came downstairs &
went over to pick it up. WHOA! Quincy ran over & the two of them "locked up"
- I mean not only snarling & growling, but they were fighting & biting each
other & this wasn't their usual little quibbles. This seemed like a battle.
I broke the two of them up, picked up the bone (& the others that were lying
around) and threw them out. And later on, I gave Cleo the end of a yogurt
cup & Quincy again seemed to get a little aggressive. I don't know what to
do or how to approach to nip this in the bud NOW. Quincy is so sweet
natured, and I know dogs can get snarly with each other, but I want to stop
any aggression and convey to him that it will not be tolerated. ANY
SUGGESTIONS?

--
Vicki Kerns
**