[Dailydrool] Proper Basset Coat

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 06:46:09 PDT 2011

The AKC Standard on coat reads:

"The coat is hard, smooth, and short with sufficient density to be of use in
all weather. The skin is loose and elastic. A distinctly long coat is a
disqualification."

In other words the oils that we wash out are supposed to be there. A soft,
sweet coat is not what you want in the show ring. Mitchell had a wonderful
coat: nice and short and hard to touch. Conley's is close but a little
softer than I like. The problem with bathing before a show is that your dog
may be clean but a lot of the oils that make it "hard" have been washed out.
The sleeker the coat the better off you are.
Soft and fluffy are wonderful for snuggling but won't get you far if you are
looking for a coat that fits the standard.

MomPerson to Nigel (very thick) Llewis (perfect) Conley (Almost right) and
Cooper (hey! I'm not a Basset!!!)