[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 10:30:00 PDT 2011

<<You guys are going to think I'm nuts but somehow I find it comforting that
there are multiple hound families out there that have their hounds fight
with each other. It really doesn't happen very often here but it always
shocks the heck out of me when it does.>>

Most interpack fights, in my experience, are mostly sound and fury. I don't think they really want to murder each other, though it sure sounds like it. Usually, when someone gets wounded around here, it's an accidental thing. Someone gets too close to an open, tooth-filled mouth. With Bel's blindness, he's unable to see just where Abner is, so I think that's why he gets hit most often.

Though I rarely use negative methods, I will pull out my spray bottle of water when things get too vociferous. Usually just a warning shake stops everything. They, especially Abner, hate the water bottle! But some dogs are not deterred by that, so you have to find some faairly gentle way to stop the fight.

By the way, I can't think of a time Abner took on Jane. She rules calmly but firmly. Only silly fosters try to take her on, and then only once or twice.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets