[Dailydrool] Multiple hound families

Alicia Pool apool at wolfrogersdickey.com
Mon Apr 11 10:15:02 PDT 2011

Our multi-hound family has evolved some lately.  Flo was the first and came
to us as a pup.  When Gabe arrived a few months later as a tiny pup, Flo was
alpha.  Then Liz arrived about a year ago and Flo immediately backed down
and deferred to Liz.  Liz snarked, crabbed and bossed everyone.  Gabe was
still a clueless baby.  In recent months, Gabe must have arrived at “social
maturation” was I think the term someone else used.  One day, he just
whipped Liz’ crabby butt and seems to have established himself as alpha.  I
wasn’t too upset because it seemed to me she had it coming – I don’t like
bullies.  He is not mean about being alpha like Liz was, but Liz definitely
gives him a wide berth when he gives her “the look”.     It is comical to me
because he is a tiny basset by any standard probably.  He weighs in at 37
pounds and each of the girls outweighs him by a good 15 pounds.  I always
wonder how Flo, who was here first, ended up at the bottom of the pack.  She
won’t stand up to the other dogs at all, but is always the one guarding us
or sounding warning when someone arrives at the house.

Alicia, Flo, Gabe (aka Napoleon), Liz