[Dailydrool] Holly the Dolly's Gotcha Day

A. Woodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Wed Aug 3 20:19:28 PDT 2011

Well today (August 3rd) is our sweet little Holly's 3rd Gotcha Day.  Gracie
had been here a few months and was showing definite signs of "me walk I
don't think so" so I had been working with NTBHR (North Texas Basset Hound
Rescue) to find her another dog.  NTBHR and I were trying and it was not
working.  And then one day while I was at work one of the people from NTBHR
called and asked me if I could foster Holly, it was an emergency and could I
help.  To which I said, you know I don't foster because they always end up
staying...but something told me to say yes, so I did.  That weekend I drove
out to Canton, which was about halfway between Dallas and Longview, where
Holly had lived, and met a great breeder who helped with rescue, and picked
Holly up and brought her home.  Introduced her to Gracie with the help of a
neighbor, and they immediately adored each other, and that was that.

Holly was dumped at the pound by an older couple who said she was 8, her
name was Holly and she had lived with them all her life, and she was not
good with children.  And they left her and her beautiful dog bed.  I always
figured a grandchild hit her or jumped on her and she snapped at the child,
because she has never ever shown any aggression to anything or any one,
especially not children.  (Well, we have to make an exception here, Anna
steals Holly's treats and food if I'm not looking, and a couple of times
Holly has snapped at her during mid food-heist.  I always tell Holly to give
Anna what for.)  Anyway, I often wonder if they later realized what a
wonderful dog they let get away.  All the girls are sweethearts, even Anna
the food-thief, but Holly is something special, and we all adore her.

Happy Gotcha Day Holly the Dolly, and may there be many more!!

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net